Fellowship for Journalistic Exellence provides financial means and editorial mentoring to journalists in order to produce cross-border long form articles with regional relevance.
As of 2020 programme is expanded to journalists from Visegrad countries, in addition to journalists from the Balkans where this flagship initiative exists since 2007. It is keeping the key elements of the previous Balkan Fellowhip for Journalistic Excellence concept (initial seminar, mentoring support, editorial sessions promotion and publishing), which has been globally recognized as a highly successful media development programme.
Each year, 10 journalists are chosen through open competition to receive a €3,000 bursary, close editorial supervision and mentoring, and the chance to attend international career development seminars and be published in the most influential regional and international media. In addition, the top three articles chosen by an international jury will receive awards.
Fellows’ stories are published by BIRN’s Balkan Insight and Reporting Democracy platforms and disseminated widely through our network of media partners in all local languages as well as in English and German.
After the successful completion of the programme fellows are becoming part of the Alumni network of journalists across the region committed to excellence in their profession.
Fellowship for Journalistic Excellence now covers 14 countries. In addition to the Central European nations above, we still welcome applications from Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Kosovo, North Macedonia, Montenegro, Romania, Greece and Serbia.
To foster quality reporting and create a strong alumni network devoted to promoting standards of excellence in journalisam across the region.
- To produce 10 investigative or analytical articles with regional relevance
- To raise professional capacities of journalists participating in the programme
- To promote journalists and their work, securing public recognition for excellence in journalisam
- To strengthen the existing alumni network
- Training and mentoring for journalists
- Research, production and publishing of quality content
- Strengthening regional network of journalists
- Promotion of programme findings through dissemination of articles through the network of media partners