In 2012, BIRN made a pioneer attempt to shed some light and put under public eye practices f budgetary spending in media sector. BIRNs research, conducted on the sample of 33 cities and municipalities in Serbia, demonstrated that almost 80% of all public funds at the local level are allocated to the state owned media outlets. The same research also demonstrated that key condition to receive the funds is to report about activities of local self-governments and local public enterprises.
Being in line with the latest developments in the Serbian media sector and recognizing the importance of implementation of Media Strategy and consequent action plans, BIRN is proposing this project particularly focusing on the aspect of state funding of the media.
The proposed project will provide in-depth look into the current practice of the media project financing and propose ways for its improvement, as the sustainable financing is important precondition for media freedoms and media development.
NUNS (Independent Association of Journalists of Serbia) and CUPS (Centre for Advancement of Legal Studies).
- Overall goal of this project is to contribute to more transparent, accountable and uniform spending of budgetary money for media and public informing.
Based on research, set of recommendations how to improve budgetary financing of media will be composed and advocated toward national and local governments.
- Conduct research on current practice of media financing through: 1) documentary research od administrative practices, rules, legal regulations and procedures, 2) tracking budgetary spending toward media in local self-governments, Ministries and public enterprises, using competencies of Law on Free Access to Information of Public Importance
- Production of the Analysis on budgetary financing practice and recommendations for the future reference.
- Promotion and dissemination of the Analysis: electronic version of the Analysis will be disseminated among relevant public national and local institutions, media outlets, CSOs and international institutions. Besides, the Analysis will be presented on series of meetings BIRN will organize with relevant stakeholders.
- In cooperation with NUNS and CUPS, BIRN will present Analysis on three round tables, which NUNS will organize in Belgrade, Sombor and Vranje
- Public administration / Ministries, local self-governments, public enterprises;
- media, journalists, media organizations;
- broader public.