The project, which runs from January 2012- February 2013, aims to increase local governments' capacity to conduct participatory budgeting by providing the general conditions, methodology and measures for making the process sustainable.
The BIRN team also works to motivate citizens to take part in the budgeting process by rising awareness of their rights to participate in decision making processes and by equipping them with an understanding of the budget process.
In addition, the project aims to strengthen the capacity of media outlets and civil society organisations to perform their watchdog role by enhancing their knowledge and raising their expectations in relation to government accountability.
As part of the project, the BIRN team carries out budget analysis and performance assessment, as well as stakeholder analysis. Members form participatory budget committees, carry out workshops and develop action plans, while also lobbying and presenting to the Parliamentary Assembly.
Finally, the team carries out follow-up budget performance monitoring.
The target audience for the project, which operates on a budget of 100,000 euros, includes local governments and the general public. It is supported by the EU Progress Programme.
- To introduce participative budgeting in 25 municipalities in south and south-west Serbia
- To increase LSG capacity to conduct PB process by providing general preconditions, methodology and measures for making the process sustainable
- To motivate citizens to take part in PB process by rising awareness on their rights to participate in decision making process and by equipping them with understanding of PBP
- To strengthen capacities of media and CSO’s to perform its watchdog role by enhancing their knowledge and rising their expectations in relation to governments accountability
- Budget analyses and performance assessment
- Stakeholder analyses
- PB committee forming
- Workshop and development of the action plan
- PB implementation
- Lobbying and presentation for the Parliamentary assembly
- Follow-up - budget performance monitoring
- Local government
- General public
- Analysis of budget process in 25 targeted municipalities
- Budget message developed in up to 15 municipalities