This post gives an opportunity to develop the network’s work at a time of key challenges in the Balkan region. The successful candidate will play a defining role in driving BIRN’s work over the coming years, develop and implement new strategies and extend and build partnerships across the region and internationally.
1. WHO WE ARE?
The BIRN Network is a close-knit family of non-governmental, non-profit organisations, promoting freedom of speech, human rights and democratic values with a presence across the Balkans. Tacking key issues of the region BIRN implements a range of programmes and projects. They focus on journalist training, publishing, broadcasting, media-monitoring, advocacy and debate, working with civil society organisations and creating public archives and databases.
We have country-based organisations in Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Macedonia, Romania and Serbia, while BIRN Hub acts as our umbrella organisation. It is a non-governmental, non-profit independent organisation registered in Bosnia and Herzegovina whose job is to act as the secretariat of BIRN’s individual country-based organisations.
Additionally, BIRN Hub manages the majority of the network’s regional programmes which are implemented in cooperation with our country-based or other organisations, journalists and consultants. The work of BIRN Hub includes capacity-building of the network, the quality control of editorial output and the management of websites at the regional level. It also includes journalist training and editorial production, implemented through several programmes.
Our network of journalists and editors also includes Montenegro, Croatia, Bulgaria, Greece, and beyond. We have a wide media presence; online, on social media, in print, television, radio. Balkan Insight is our flagship website.
2. WHAT DO WE SEEK?
A BIRN Regional Director (BIRN Hub), will have the following responsibilities:
- Ensuring fiscal and legal compliance in the work of BIRN Hub, under the respective laws of Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Ensuring the smooth operation of all projects and programmes implemented by the network
- Ensuring compliance with donor requirements for projects and programmes implemented by BIRN Hub as the lead partner
- Ensuring proper and timely staffing of the organisation
- Leading and motivating employees and effectively managing the human resources of BIRN Hub
- Ensuring the effective administration of BIRN Hub operations including the efficient completion of all BIRN Hub’s duties as the network’s secretariat
- Ensuring an exchange of information and decision-making processes within and between BIRN Hub, the BIRN network, the Steering Committee and Assembly, in compliance with Network Rules and Regulations, the BIRN Network Cooperation Agreement, BIRN Hub’s Statute and all legal provisions
- Ensure Network Rules and Regulations are implemented and the values of the network are respected and maintained throughout across the BIRN family
- Ensuring maintenance, smooth operations and regional cooperation within the BIRN network, in compliance with the Network Rules and Regulations
- Ensuring the BIRN network’s compliance with international standards of journalism, libel laws, professionalism and objectivity
- Leading the BIRN network’s fundraising activities with a specific focus on regional programmes and deepening cooperation within the network, including the design of programmes and projects, representation of BIRN Network in public and donor relations
- Represent BIRN Hub and BIRN network in public, (including events, public appearances and donor conferences,) with the aim of furthering the network’s mission
3. WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- An excellent understanding of Balkan politics, society, and interethnic relations, plus a strong editorial background
- Strong media development experience and knowledge of international journalistic standards
- Commitment, drive and passion for human rights and media freedom
- At least five years of executive experience in the non-profit sector
- A proven track record in fundraising and an understanding donor relations unique to the non-profit sector
- A solid understanding of financial cycles, including budget preparation, analysis, financially-informed decision-making and reporting
- Strong organisational skills, including planning, delegating, programme development and task facilitation
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff of different backgrounds
- Public appearance, diplomacy and speaking skills and excellence in conveying messages, including the vision of BIRN’s strategic future to staff, the Board, donors and public
- Excellent English speaking and writing skills and knowledge of at least one language of the Balkans
4. WHAT ARE WE OFFERING?
- An opportunity to work with a motivated, diverse team of professionals and to pursue the BIRN’s mission
- A 4-year contract (renewable) and a competitive salary package, after a 3-month probation period
- Working from one of our offices in the Balkans with the opportunity of frequent travel around the region
Eligible candidates are invited to send an application including a CV, motivation letter and supplementary documentation to support their candidacy to email@example.com, no later than August 1, 2017.
The short-listed candidates will be invited to an interview by the 15th of August 2017. The successful candidate is expected to start with the 1st of October 2017.