As part of our unwavering commitment to fostering journalistic cooperation and knowledge exchange between regions, we are thrilled to announce the launch of our Travel & Reporting Grants Program.
This is an exclusive opportunity to embark on a reporting journey, supported by financial assistance, regional expertise and on-the-ground field support in selected countries where BIRN has established offices, including Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, North Macedonia, Romania, Serbia, and Montenegro.
We invite journalists interested in the Balkans to participate in this exceptional program, aimed at generating compelling journalistic output for media outlets in your countries, with the added possibility of being showcased on BIRN’s esteemed Reporting Democracy platform and in prominent local media across the Balkan region.
We encourage the submission of projects for the production of relevant and substantive content. We support production of a variety of journalistic forms, including analysis, investigations, features and interviews. We also welcome cross-border stories, serialized articles, as well as accompanying multimedia material such as videos, photos, and radio or podcast productions.
Elevate your journalistic endeavors, expand your reach and contribute to a thriving media landscape. Apply now and let your stories resonate across borders, engaging audiences with compelling narratives that leave a lasting impression.
Who can apply?
Journalists from Poland, Hungary, the Czech Republic, and Slovakia can apply for grants. We welcome applications from a diverse range of applicants, including:
- Individual journalists, whether operating within newsroom structures or working independently as freelancers
- Collaborative teams consisting of a dynamic mix of reporters, producers, photographers, and video editors
- Forward-thinking media organisations eager to pursue international and cross-border stories
In this grant cycle, we have limited opportunities available, with a maximum of 5 grants set to be awarded to the most deserving applicants.
Successful applicants will be awarded a grant of 2,500 euros, providing the necessary resources to undertake in-depth and impactful journalism stories.
- Application Deadline: July 31, 2023
- Grant Completion Deadline: December 31, 2023
Each applicant may submit only one application under this grant scheme.
To be considered for this grant, your application should include the following components:
- Engaging Topics: Clearly articulate the compelling topic(s) you intend to report on, showcasing their relevance and potential to captivate your target audience.
- Balkan Expedition: Present your well-conceived plans for visiting one or more countries within the Balkan region, supported by a tentative timeline that demonstrates your commitment to thorough research and reporting.
- Publishing and Dissemination Plan: Outline a robust and strategic plan for effectively sharing your journalistic output with the world. Highlight the platforms and channels you will utilize to maximize the impact of your work.
The grant covers a broad range of essential expenses, including:
- Professional fees
- Travel costs
- Accommodation expenses
- Subsistence allowances during fieldwork
- Various production costs, such as translation services, fixers, photographers, etc.
How to apply?
To apply for the Travel & Reporting programme, interested individuals and organizations should utilize the designated application form. Two types of application forms are available: one for individual journalists and teams, and another for media organizations.
Any additional documentation required can be submitted in an online format.
The Application Form must be completed in English.
Please ensure that all provided information is clear and comprehensive, as requests for clarification will only be made when the information provided is insufficient for objective assessment.
The deadline for application submission is 23:59 CET on July 31, 2023. Kindly send your completed application to the following address:
Application for the grant:
For any further inquiries or assistance, do not hesitate to contact us. We are here to support you throughout the application process.
Evaluation and Selection Process:
Step I: Technical Evaluation
On receiving applications, the BIRN staff will conduct a thorough technical evaluation. This evaluation will ensure that applicants have adhered to the application procedures and submitted all the required documents.
Step II: Editorial Board Evaluation
After the technical evaluation, the applications will undergo a comprehensive assessment by our editorial board. The board will evaluate the applicants based on predetermined criteria, including the quality of the proposed idea, feasibility of the plan, and the potential to effectively reach the intended audience.
Step III: Notification of Applicants
Following the evaluation process, all applicants will be promptly notified of the outcomes. Successful applicants will receive notification by August 15, 2023.
We appreciate your patience during the evaluation period and assure you that we will provide timely updates about your application. We value your dedication to journalistic excellence and eagerly anticipate the opportunity to work with the selected individuals and organisations.