We are offering the chance to work in a highly interactive and dynamic environment at one of the biggest media and NGO networks in the region.
We are looking for a knowledgeable, diligent Curator to help us expand and display our collection for a new museum in Sarajevo. The Curator will collect artefacts and pieces and record information about the collection, and work with colleagues and other staff members to create meaningful displays.
The curator will be responsible for developing a permanent exhibition for the museum that aims to explain the history of the break-up of Yugoslavia through the narrative of journalists, and for developing a strong and compelling narrative based on the museum’s collection of historical and cultural artefacts.
Position – Museum Curator/Advisor
The selected candidate will be responsible for developing and coordinating the conceptual development, preparation and delivery of a permanent exhibition in close cooperation with the architects and design team. The position is for a fixed period of time during the project development. Duration and working hours are subject to agreement between the successful candidate and BIRN.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Develop and organise new collections
- Create and maintain master exhibition design and schedule; select or create exhibits from both loaned items and permanent collections; prepare and hang exhibits (including interpretive materials); coordinate and manage logistics related to the installation of the exhibits and the return of loaned items
- Work closely with architects and the design team in the implementation of the exhibition
- Maintain records and catalogue acquisitions
- Collaborate with other cultural and partner institutions and individuals
- Research, compile and prepare written information about catalogues and publish it on the institution’s website
- Ensure collections are properly preserved
- University degree in art history, museum studies, art studies, social science or a related field
- Demonstrated knowledge of museum practices and working with museum collections and proven ability in processing, preservation and digitisation of artefact collections
- Well organised, able to prioritise, goal-oriented, multi-tasker
- Skilled communicator and manager with excellent design instincts
- Exceptional research and verbal and written communication skills
- Comprehensive understanding of museum collections
- Ability to be proactive and take the initiative
- Strong work ethic and commitment to accuracy and detail
- Ability to handle confidential information
- Ability to function professionally and effectively with co-workers and supervisors
- Excellent written and oral skills in English
Please submit a detailed CV and cover letter with two references, responding to the points raised in the job specifications, with clear indication of which position are you applying for, not later than May 15th, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The selected candidate should start work as soon as possible.
BIRN Hub is a nongovernmental organisation, part of the Regional BIRN Network, working on in the field of media development, promoting freedom of speech, human rights and democratic values in Southern and Eastern Europe. BIRN has local organisations in Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Macedonia, Romania and Serbia, while the Network is editorially also present in Greece, Bulgaria, Croatia, Moldova, Montenegro, Ukraine, the Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary and Slovenia. More information at www.birn.eu.com.
BIRN encourages applicants of all gender identities, and offers an equal chance to all interested persons, without any prejudice based on any grounds.