Balkan Investigative Regional Reporting Network – BIRN Hub, is opening a call for the following position:
- Correspondent from Croatia – with more than 3 years of relevant experience;
Regional BIRN Hub, based in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, is looking for a correspondent from Croatia as an “on the scene” reporter with particular focus in the region, for its online publication, who will contribute to regional BIRN’s daily media output, Balkan Insight (www.balkaninsight.com).
We are offering the chance to work in a highly interactive and dynamic environment at one of the biggest media networks in the region. Due to the fast and continuing growth of our network and the implementation of various projects, we are looking for a hardworking, dedicated, motivated professional to join our ever-growing team.
Position – Correspondent
Major duties and responsibilities
- Reporting on daily events and producing analysis, interviews, features and photo or video stories on main events in the country, be it politics, economy, environment, culture, lifestyle, etc.
- Writing (contributing) in producing country-based and cross-border investigative stories
- Developing new ideas and topics for the Balkan Insight.
- Maintaining appropriate contacts with government offices and officials of various local and international organisations, necessary to ensure correct execution of the above duties.
- Contributing to regional thematic stories
- Interested candidates need to be dynamic, open, hard-working and committed, and possess the following characteristics:
- At least three years of experience as news or TV/radio reporters
- Excellent command of the English language (writing, reading, understanding and speaking)
- Familiarity with online reporting, interest in web and mobile journalism; knowledge of promotion methods via social networks
- Excellent computer skills
- Preferable advanced user of content management system, being responsible for uploading and illustrating own and other stories.
- Interest in digital rights, rule of law, transitional justice and other topics BIRN regularly follows
Other duties and responsibilities
- Providing regular weekly, bi-weekly or monthly reports on performance in the period being reported, and the plan for the upcoming period;
- Developing a network of sources within the field of coverage;
- Maintaining appropriate contacts with experts (government, NGO and other officials), necessary to ensure fact checking of content;
- Maintaining appropriate contacts with personnel of BIRN Regional Network, as well as all BIRN country offices and/or personnel, necessary to ensure correct execution of the above duties;
- Helping the set up and subsequent maintenance of database of related contacts;
- Carrying out any other duties that may reasonably or exceptionally be required to ensure the smooth operation of BIRN’s work, such as substituting for absent colleagues, etc.
Who can apply?
BIRN welcomes applications from anywhere in the world. BIRN encourages applicants no matter their gender and offers an equal chance to all interested persons without any prejudice based on any grounds.
How to apply?
Please submit a detailed CV, three of your best stories and a cover letter with three references, responding to the points raised in the job specifications not later than 17 of April 2022, to our regional operations unit, at email@example.com
Only shortlisted candidates will be called for an interview.
The selected candidate should start work as soon as possible.
Balkan Investigative Reporting Network is a network of non-governmental organisations promoting freedom of speech, human rights and democratic values in Southern and Eastern Europe. BIRN Hub is a non-governmental organisation, a part of the Regional BIRN Network, working in the field of media development, promoting freedom of speech, human rights and democratic values in Southern and Eastern Europe. BIRN has local organisations in Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, North Macedonia, Romania and Serbia, while the Network is editorially also present in Greece, Bulgaria, Croatia, Moldova, Montenegro, Ukraine, the Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary and Slovenia. BIRN strives to empower people to access their rights, by providing accurate and relevant information and by creating opportunities for them to participate in democratic processes.
More information at www.birn.eu.com