MATRA Programme, Royal Netherlands Embassy
The project aims to create incentives for both journalists and the general public to report on legal violations and possible misuses of authority during public procurement processes, including acts of corruption and money laundering. Higher civic engagement is fundamental in promoting good governance, and a better understanding of Kosovo’s auditing institutions will help increase public support in their efforts towards accountability. More efficient auditing mechanisms can help bring transparency and accountability, which in turn will help lower corruption and other violations that pose a huge risk to the good governance. Increased public awareness about auditors’ roles and responsibilities when it comes to monitoring governmental processes goes hand in hand with efficient auditing. As such, BIRN Kosovo is committed to empowering and encouraging civil society to engage in the process of democratisation together with the Auditor General and NAO.
Increasing public oversight by promoting good governance through higher accountability and transparency in the decision-making processes in public spending.
- Activity 1 – Organise town hall conferences in municipalities to increase awareness of the role of civil society in promoting good governance;
- Activity 2 – Deliver three one-to-one training sessions for the Auditor General/NAO staff to enhance cooperation with the general public;
- Activity 3 – Organise five TV debates on the role of the General Auditor/National Audit Office (three in Albanian and two in Serbian);
- Activity 4 – Launch the Annual Public Spending Award to recognise the best piece of media reporting that highlights violations and manipulations of authorities on public expenditure;
- Activity 5 – Edit and publish analyses, investigations, and highlights from the findings of the audit reports;
- Activity 6 – Organise training for new journalists and monitors to better tackle and monitor audit reports;
- Activity 7 – Monitor court cases raised by the Auditor General
- Local civil society and organisations;
- Local media;
- The Auditor General and NAO;
- The general public.
ACDC – Advocacy Center for Democratic Culture