Regional BIRN Hub, based in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, is looking for a dynamic individual with a strong record in journalism, media and communications, who also has an extensive understanding of the current affairs and media scene in the Central and Southeast Europe. The position holder will work closely with the programme and editorial team to ensure its content reaches target audiences, effectively communicate BIRN’s mission and presents its outputs in a compelling and engaging way.
Location: Central and Southeast Europe
Job Function: Communications Manager
Experience Level: Five years
Working Languages: English
Application Deadline: November 20th, 2020
The selected candidate will be engaged for a probation period of three months.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Formulate and lead BIRN’s communication strategy for maximising the impact of the organisation’s work
- Prioritise among the growing number of platforms strategies for reaching key audiences, keeping in mind the widely varying media consumption habits of different countries and regions, and staying abreast of new media developments and technologies
- Develop and implement communications strategies & work-plans, campaigns, events and other initiatives
- Plan and manage visibility and social media promotion for BIRN’s programmes and projects
- Execute simultaneous projects with tight deadlines and see them through from concept to completion
- Ensure our brand principles and standards are maintained across all platforms
- Provides monthly, yearly and ad hoc digital and social media reports for both internal and external use
- Provide updates and reviews to BIRN Hub management on the status of digital and social media activities and campaigns
- Conduct regular analyses of digital media engagement and effectiveness of campaigns
- Participate in the creation of training materials and guidelines, as necessary
- Defend the organisation against threats to its reputation, proactively identifying threats and reactively managing incoming issues and concerns
- Developing new ideas and topics, contributing to Balkan Insight editorial output and other BIRN publications.
- Degree in communications, social science, or related area
- 5+ years of experience in journalism, media and communications
- Familiarity with digital content production and ability to meet tight deadlines
- Excellent communication skills, including social media and multimedia, plus strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to rigorously enforce style expectations
- Demonstrated experience in the development of external communications, content and campaigns designed to inform opinions and influence outcomes
- Understands analytics and digital readership to help curate BIRN’s social media and other digital presence
- Strong network of external relationships, especially within the media industry
- Has a solid understanding of media laws
- Has a profound understanding of the Central and Southeast Europe
- Excellent computer skills, and experience of working with multimedia tools
- Fluent in English
Please submit a detailed CV, a letter of motivation (no more than 1 page), proof for all stated skills and a list of three professional references by e-mail to Nikola Čače, firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than November 20th 2020. Only the shortlisted candidates will be informed on the results of the vacancy and invited to the interview. The selected candidate should start work as soon as possible.
Balkan Insight is published by the Sarajevo-based regional hub of the Balkan Investigative Reporting Network (BIRN). Balkan Insight is a network of correspondents based in Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Greece, Hungary, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Moldova, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia and Ukraine.
BalkanInsight.com, one of 15 sites in different languages that BIRN runs, is read in more than 200 countries worldwide.
BIRN Hub is a nongovernmental organisation, a part of the Regional BIRN Network, working on in the field of media development, promoting freedom of speech, human rights and democratic values in Southern and Eastern Europe. BIRN has local organisations in Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Macedonia, Romania and Serbia, while the Network is editorially also present in Greece, Bulgaria, Croatia, Moldova, Montenegro, Ukraine, the Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary and Slovenia. More information at www.birn.eu.com.
BIRN encourages applicants of both genders, and offers an equal chance to all interested persons, without any prejudice based on any grounds.