The project, which runs from January 2012-April 2013, aims to enable public participation in the budget planning process through an online mechanism. The application intends to enhance public knowledge of the budget and transparency in public spending.
As part of the Make Your Own Budget project, the BIRN Serbia team is conducting budget analysis and identifying trends. As the online application is developed, BIRN Serbia is training parliamentary staff on how to maintain the application and how to analyse the data gathered from it.
Project leaders are also promoting the application via the web, public outreach, workshops, debates and open classes in universities, as well as public events and study visits.
Make Your Own Budget aims to reach both the general public in Serbia and the country’s lawmakers, as well as the expert community.
ProConcept is the co-implementer of the project, which is supported by the British Embassy in Serbia and the MATRA programme of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- To enable public participation in the budget planning process
- To develop on-line mechanism for public engagement in the budget process in cooperation with the Parliament
- To enhance public knowledge on the budget and transparency in the public spending
- Budget analyses and identification of trends
- Development of the application
- Training for the Parliamentary staff on maintaining the application and analysing data gathered through it
- Promotion of the application including on line promotion, public outreach, workshops throughout Serbia, debates and open classes in Universities
- Public events and study visits
- Parliamentary session prior to the budget discussion