As part of this project, BIRN produces high quality articles that tackle issues surrounding the two topics in focus- Future of Bosnia and Kosovo-Serbia relations- and give them visibility in their respective countries and the wider region.
In addition, BIRN endeavours to further advance the professional skills of investigative journalistic teams in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Kosovo and Albania through on-the-job training. This project also works to steer online public debate through social networks and blogs.
Finally, BIRN aims to ensure that this project and these crucial issues remain visible. It secures local visibility in Bosnia and Herzegovina by translating produced content in Bosnian language, and enhances the professional capacities of media in all the countries by republishing articles from BIRN’s flagship Balkan Insight web site in local, regional and international print and electronic media outlets. The most important articles are translated in local languages to have a greater impact.
Under the project, BIRN's editorial team continues with its regular on-the-job trainings with journalists, and a special focus page has been created for each topic.
The Future of Bosnia page will have additional blogs that will attract new readers to the web site. In addition, active online campaigns are being carried out to promote the articles on social networks (Google Ad campaigns, Facebook campaigns, etc.).
This project ultimately aims to provide the general public with better, more relevant and insightful reporting.
This should consequently affect not only the general public but also decision-makers, who will be encouraged to take a more active role in influencing the issues that affect them and their constituencies.
Although it is difficult to measure the impact the articles have on the general public, Google Analytics allows us to see how many readers visited our web site over a certain period, where they are from, and which articles interested them most. We can also see which institutions visit our site.
In cooperation with media outlets in the region, our Development staff will keep track of republications in local and international media by collecting necessary data (pages from the newspapers and picture files which contain online articles).
This project is funded by the Balkan Trust for Democracy. BIRN Hub is implementing the project in cooperation with BIRN Serbia, BIRN Kosovo, BIRN Macedonia and BIRN Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- The overall objective of the proposed project is to enhance the situation in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Serbia and Albania through continuous reporting on burning issues (Future of Bosnia and Herzegovina and Kosovo-Serbian relations), through debating on social networks and blogging, and through republications in local media.
- It is of great importance to contribute to the enhancement of democratization process in the Balkans by supporting the constant work of independent media, and consequently improving the content of the media, allowing BIRN to keep serving as an independent, reliable, high quality platform for journalists, media organizations and others.
- To produce high quality articles that will tackle Future Bosnia and Kosovo-Serbian relations’ topics and give them a visibility in respective countries and wider region;
- To further advance journalistic skills of investigative journalistic teams in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Kosovo and Albania, thorugh on-the-job training;
- To steer online public debate through social networks and blogs;
- To secure local visibility in Bosnia and Herzegovina by translating produced content in Bosnian language;
- To enhance professional capacities of media in these countries by republishing articles from BIRN’s flagship Balkan Insight web site in local, regional and international print and electronic media outlets.
Training and publishing
- BIRN editorial team with continue with its regular on-the-job trainings with journalists, enhancing their journalistic skills;
- Kosovo-Serbian Relations Special Focus Page created;
- Journalists will report on Future Bosnia and Kosovo-Serbian relations’ topics, making them visible for local readers and the ones from abroad;
- The most important articles will be translated in local languages, so that higher impact could be achieved;
- Future Bosnia Focus Page will have additional blogs that will attract new readers to the web site;
Republication and articles promotion
- The articles will be offered to local print, electronic, and online media for republications;
- Active online campaigns (visibility actions) for the articles’ promotion on social networks (Google Adds campaigns, Facebook campaigns).
- General public, local decision-makers, Diaspora, international stakeholders