Through the project Support to Civil Society and Media Initiatives, financed by the European Union Office in Kosovo, the Balkan Investigative Reporting Network, BIRN Kosovo and the Association of Journalists of Kosovo, AJK, have teamed up for a project that aims to target and assist journalists and media houses/organisations to improve their investigative and analytical skills as well as increase efficiency, transparency and the accountability of the media regulatory bodies.
The overall objective of the project is to strengthen Kosovo’s media sector to fulfill its role in the democratic environment by acting as an independent interlocutor, to monitor public institutions, and to contribute to increased accountability and transparency in policy development and decision-making processes.
Through this project, BIRN Kosovo and AJK aim to improve the internal governance of the Press Council of Kosovo (PCK), while supporting investigative journalism through training sessions, internships, a fellowship programme for journalistic excellence, including a sub-granting scheme for media organisations to produce impartial, fair, and unbiased journalism. Additionally, BIRN Kosovo and AGK aim to improve the understanding and implementation of FOI, Defamation, Whistleblowing, Copyright and other media-related laws.
- Production and publication of news content for print or online media, including investigations and analysis that include the usage of documents obtained through access to public documents and conversations with all parties involved in a story covering human rights, good governance, economic development, environment, the rule of law, and education;
- Production and broadcast of radio or video material, through investigative reporting that covers human rights, good governance, economic development, environment, the rule of law, and education;
- Production and broadcast of documentaries covering good governance, rule of law, environment, and economic development;
- Designing and implementing social media campaigns targeting issues related to human rights, good governance, education, etc.;
- Activities aiming to raise media literacy and human rights right issues, primarily targeting high school and university students.
The project targets and assists journalists and media houses/organisations to improve their investigative and analytical skills as well as increase the efficiency, transparency and accountability of the media regulatory bodies.
Association of Journalists of Kosovo (AJK)