Rare and sought-after opportunity to join the flagship media portal in English reporting on the South and Central Europe, as a reporter based in Ukraine.
Regional BIRN Hub, based in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, is looking for a reporter from Ukraine, for its online publication, who will contribute to regional BIRN’s daily media output, Balkan Insight, through regular reporting on transitional justice themes from Ukraine.
Location: Ukraine / Kyiv
Job Function: Reporter
Experience Level: 3+ years
Working Languages: English
Application Deadline: 05/08/2019
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Writing news stories, analysis, interviews, investigations and features on transitional justice issues in Ukraine, including, but not limited to war crimes, criminal justice, retributive legal processes, missing persons, gender-based violence, peace building and reconciliation efforts, memorialization efforts, role of the media, rehabilitation and revisionism, institutional reform and rule of law;
- Courtside reporting, research, and daily courtside reports;
- Research and write-up of analytical reports for the online publication;
- Investigative reporting that includes research, interviews, data collection and analytical reporting;
- Developing new ideas and topics for the Balkan Insight’s new subpage Justice Report;
- Maintaining appropriate contacts with government offices and officials of various local and international organisations, necessary to ensure correct execution of the above duties;
- Contributing to regional thematic stories.
- Excellent command of the English language (writing, reading, comprehension, and speaking);
- At least three years of experience with online, print or broadcast media or with project related to transitional justice;
- Experience with international media preferable;
- Special interest in transitional justice issues;
- Strong interpersonal skills, dynamic, open, hard-working and committed personality;
- Ability to work independently and pro-actively;
- Ability to act as a team player in a deadline-driven environment;
- Preferable advanced user of content management system, being responsible for uploading and illustrating own and other stories.
Please submit a detailed CV, three of your best stories and a cover letter with three references, responding to the points raised in the job specifications by 5th of August 2019 to our regional operations unit, at [email protected]. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The selected candidate should start work as soon as possible.
Balkan Insight is published by the Sarajevo-based regional hub of the Balkan Investigative Reporting Network (BIRN). Balkan Insight is a network of correspondents based in Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Greece, Hungary, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Moldova, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia and Ukraine.
BalkanInsight.com, one of 15 sites in different languages that BIRN runs, is read in more than 200 countries worldwide.
BIRN Hub is a nongovernmental organisation, a part of the Regional BIRN Network, working on in the field of media development, promoting freedom of speech, human rights and democratic values in Southern and Eastern Europe. BIRN has local organisations in Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Macedonia, Romania and Serbia, while the Network is editorially also present in Greece, Bulgaria, Croatia, Moldova, Montenegro, Ukraine, the Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary and Slovenia. More information at www.birn.eu.com.
BIRN encourages applicants of both genders, and offers an equal chance to all interested persons, without any prejudice based on any grounds.